What You Will Learn
You will develop an understanding of the basic concepts of steam systems including terminology, properties of a system, analysis and design. After completing the course, you will develop an understanding of:
- Characteristics of steam
- Steam system types
- Terminal equipment in steam systems
- Steam system components, their function and location in the system
- Steam and condensate pipe sizing, support, and insulation
- Steam trap and condensate receiver sizing, selection and placement
- Introduction to Steam System Design - Introduction and review of thermodynamic fundamentals.
- HVAC Steam Systems - Steam and condensate; advantages of steam; basics of Steam Systems in HVAC; operating pressures of steam systems; steam heating systems; steam condensate systems; and boiler connections.
- Terminal Units I - Natural convection units; ratings of heat-distributing units; corrections for nonstandard conditions; and applications.
- Terminal Units II - Unit heaters; unit ventilators; fan-coil units; cabinet heaters; induction units; and air-handling units.
- Boilers - Boilers, boiler classifications; fuels and combustion; efficiency; cost of producing steam; and boiler sizing.
- Steam Valves, Steam Traps, Flash Tanks, and Condensate Receiver Tanks - Fundamentals of valves; manual valves; self-contained valves; safety devices; steam traps; flash steam; and condensate receiver tanks.
- Steam Piping Design - Pipe sizing; piping; pipe materials; insulation; pipe expansion; and pipe supporting elements.
Who Should Enroll in this Course?
This is an excellent course for anyone who needs information on design and analysis of steam systems. A basic knowledge of thermodynamics and psychrometrics, fundamentals of HVAC systems, and fundamentals of heating and cooling loads is assumed. The target audience is:
- Recent engineering graduates who need additional courses in HVAC&R topics to improve their on-the-job performance
- Engineers who have recently entered the HVAC&R field from other engineering disciplines Technicians who want to increase their knowledge and skills in HVAC&R
- Architects, construction and building management professionals, and others responsible for the performance of HVAC&R systems
$150 ( ASHRAE Member: $128)
A group learning package for this course is not currently available. Want ASHRAE to offer it? Let us know by contacting Customer Service at 1-678-500-3917
|Earn 35 PDHs/3.5 CEUs
|Purchase I-P Edition