The U.S. Department of Energy is sponsoring a 12 month fellowship program with placement at the Department of Energy in the Office of Building Technologies, Building Energy Codes Program. This fellowship will enable a selected ASHRAE member to assist DOE in the following code development and deployment activities:
- Residential and Commercial Code R&D
- Developing Code Change proposals and participating in the ASHRAE and ICC code revision processes
- Code Compliance & Energy Code Training
- Developing and implementing tools and training programs aimed at increasing compliance
- Assessment of the Impact of Adopting and Updating State Energy Codes
- Performing analysis of energy savings and cost effectiveness of proposed code revisions and published codes
The Department will consider candidates for 12 months of work in these areas with the possibility of an extension for a second year. A stipend of $74,872/year will be provided (this amount is before taxes, federal income taxes must be paid on this stipend). Health insurance reimbursement will be provided up to the rate of $500 per month, with any monthly costs over that being paid for by the fellow.
Ideal candidates will have a technical background, with 3-10 years experience in the building industry, as this is an early career development opportunity. This fellowship will require reporting in person to the DOE offices in Washington, DC on a daily basis (40-hour workweek). Applications are now being accepted for this open position. The fellowship can begin as soon as a suitable candidate is selected by DOE.
Federal Government Fellowships provide a valuable public service to the nation while at the same time providing engineers and scientists with a unique opportunity to participate directly in the policy making process. This enriching experience enables Fellows to bring back to their employers an insider's perspective on government decision making that can contribute significantly to the mission and vision of the organization.
ASHRAE members interested in applying for the Fellowship should contact Doug Read, ASHRAE Program Director of Government Affairs, (202) 833-1830, email@example.com.