What is the SmartStart program?
Simply put, it's the best way for ASHRAE student members to receive the many benefits of Associate grade membership after finishing college. SmartStart is a 3-year program that allows Student members to transfer to Associate grade membership at a rate that is recent-graduate friendly.
*New* SmartStart Program Policy Update*
Transfer or renew by June 30, 2014 to lock in the current low rate of $120!
In order to bring the SmartStart student transfer program into the parameters set forth in the ASHRAE Rules of the Board, as of July 1, 2014 the dues prices for the 2nd and 3rd year of the program will begin to mirror the 2nd and 3rd year prices of Affiliate grade membership.
Current program prices are: $20 (+) $50 (+) $50 = $120 (total for 3 years)
Prices as of July 1, 2014 will be: $20 (+) $73 (+) $94 = $187 (total for 3 years)
SmartStart participants who join or renew after this date will be part of the new dues structure.
We strongly encourage new applicants to pay for the full three years upon transferring membership, and current participants are urged to pay their remaining balance, prior to July 1, 2014. If you need assistance asking for employer support, feel free to personalize this template. Employer support template
What are my options?
New applicants should transfer before July 1, 2014 and pay the current full program fee of $120; or opt to pay for the first year ($20) of the program and renew based on the new dues structure.
Current Participants should pay their remaining balance by July 1, 2014 to lock in the current rate; or opt to renew based on the new dues structure.
Questions? Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Why Transfer to Associate Membership?
ASHRAE is one of the biggest reasons, I am at the level I am today. Through the networking and mentoring with my local chapter I have been able to succeed in not only the transition from college to my career, but in transforming from a student to a respectable, useful, and sought after professional
-Paul Brockmann, SmartStart Participant, New Faces of Engineering – College Edition 2013, ASHRAE Puget Sound Chapter
When I was searching for a job, nearly all my interview calls were either from people I met through ASHRAE or from someone associated with an ASHRAE connection who passed along my resume. By that method alone, I averaged one or two interviews a week. I started my new engineering job on July 10, 2013, and I do not even have a LinkedIn account.
– Justin Libay, Project Engineer, Willdan Energy Solutions, Pleasanton, California (ASHRAE San Jose Student Chapter President, 2012-2013)
Read More Membership Testimonials >
Associate Membership Benefits Include:
- Dedicated events and resources for young professionals are offered at the chapter and Society level through the
Young Engineers in ASHRAE (YEA) program.
- Tremendous networking opportunities through chapter events, committee participation, volunteering, attending conferences, and more.
- The ASHRAExChange – participate in the online forum that brings together members from across the world to discuss design, construction, operation, and support of the built environment.
- The ASHRAE Handbook — the indispensable, industry-wide resource for all HVAC&R professionals.
- ASHRAE Journal — this monthly resource is the most trusted technical magazine in the HVAC&R community.
- High Performing Buildings — the quarterly magazine for innovation in building technology design and operation.
Learn More >
- HVAC Industry News — a weekly news resource keeping ASHRAE members abreast of the latest industry news.
- Bookstore — Access to, and discounts on, more than 300 of the industry's leading technical publications.
View the Member Grades page for a detailed explanation of the various member grades, benefits, and qualifications.