What is the SmartStart program?
Simply put, it's the best way for ASHRAE student members to receive the many benefits of Associate grade membership after finishing college. SmartStart is a 3-year program that allows Student members to transfer to Associate grade membership at a rate that is recent-graduate friendly.
*Please note that the SmartStart program is only for:
Current ASHRAE Student members who have been a Student member for at least one year.
Join SmartStart Now (Online)
Join SmartStart Now (PDF)
Why Transfer to Associate Membership?
ASHRAE is one of the biggest reasons, I am at the level I am today. Through the networking and mentoring with my local chapter I have been able to succeed in not only the transition from college to my career, but in transforming from a student to a respectable, useful, and sought after professional
-Paul Brockmann, SmartStart Participant, New Faces of Engineering – College Edition 2013, ASHRAE Puget Sound Chapter
When I was searching for a job, nearly all my interview calls were either from people I met through ASHRAE or from someone associated with an ASHRAE connection who passed along my resume. By that method alone, I averaged one or two interviews a week. I started my new engineering job on July 10, 2013, and I do not even have a LinkedIn account.
– Justin Libay, Project Engineer, Willdan Energy Solutions, Pleasanton, California (ASHRAE San Jose Student Chapter President, 2012-2013)
Read More Membership Testimonials >
Associate Membership Benefits Include:
- Dedicated events and resources for young professionals are offered at the chapter and Society level through the Young Engineers in ASHRAE (YEA) program.
- Tremendous networking opportunities through chapter events, committee participation, volunteering, attending conferences, and more.
- The ASHRAExChange – participate in the online forum that brings together members from across the world to discuss design, construction, operation, and support of the built environment.
- The ASHRAE Handbook — the indispensable, industry-wide resource for all HVAC&R professionals.
- ASHRAE Journal — this monthly resource is the most trusted technical magazine in the HVAC&R community.
- High Performing Buildings — the quarterly magazine for innovation in building technology design and operation.
Learn More >
- HVAC Industry News — a weekly news resource keeping ASHRAE members abreast of the latest industry news.
- Bookstore — Access to, and discounts on, more than 300 of the industry's leading technical publications.
View the Member Grades page for a detailed explanation of the various member grades, benefits, and qualifications.