Undergraduate Engineering Scholarships
Annual Application Deadline: December 1
Scholarships are awarded for the academic year following the application deadline beginning with the fall semester. Re-applications accepted from former scholarship applicants and recipients who meet current criteria.
Scholarships are awarded to undergraduate engineering or pre-engineering students who are enrolled full-time in a post-secondary educational institution and pursuing a Bachelor of Science or Engineering degree in a course of study that traditionally has been a preparatory curriculum for the HVAC&R profession. Applicants must have a cumulative college Grade Point Average (GPA) of at least 3.0 on a scale where 4.0 is the highest and/or a class standing of no less than the top 30% and meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Willis H. Carrier Scholarships – Two one-year $10,000 undergraduate engineering scholarships available annually. Scholarship was established by The Carrier Corporation in memory of its founder, who’s known widely for his numerous and significant contributions to establishing air conditioning as an industry. Carrier installed the world’s first scientifically designed air conditioning system in 1902..
- Reuben Trane Scholarships. Four two-year $10,000 undergraduate engineering scholarships awarded $5,000 per year over two years. Scholarship was established in memory of The Trane Company founder, an engineer, inventor & business executive, whose manufacturing enterprise ranks today as one of the world’s largest in the HVAC&R industry.
$5,000 One-Year Scholarships
- Frank M. Coda Scholarship
Established in memory of ASHRAE’s former Executive Vice President, who served the Society from 1981-2004.
- Lynn G. Bellenger Scholarship
Available exclusively to women. Scholarship is named in memory of ASHRAE’s first woman president (2010-2011).
- Alwin B. Newton Scholarship
Scholarship was named for an industry pioneer, who was granted 219 patents during his lifetime.
- Duane Hanson Scholarship
Scholarship is named after the president of Gayner Engineers, a consulting mechanical/electrical engineering firm in San Francisco, California.
- ASHRAE General Scholarships (2 available)
- ASHRAE Legacy Scholarship
$3,000 One-Year Scholarships
- Henry Adams Scholarship
Scholarship was established by Henry Adams, Inc, a consulting firm based in Baltimore, Maryland, in memory of its founder, a charter member and sixth president of ASHRAE’s predecessor society, ASHVE, in 1899.
For a list of eligible schools or accredited programs recognized by ASHRAE for the purpose of granting a scholarship, click the links provided above or contact Lois Benedict at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 678-539-1120 (direct).
Submit one application and the following documents postmarked on or before the application deadline of December 1. You will be considered for all scholarships for which you qualify.
- Official transcript of college grades
- Three letters of recommendation: one from an instructor or faculty advisor, a current or past employer, and another character reference. In the case of institutions with an ASHRAE student branch, include a letter from the faculty advisor of that branch, which may be one of the three required letters of recommendation.